Harmless lumps which are caused by either sebaceous cysts or lipomas can only be removed surgically as the entire mass causing the lump needs to be removed or they can reoccur. As such, our very experienced surgeon, Dr Sarah Jenkins, performs this procedure under a local anaesthetic. She makes a very small incision over the lump and removes either the sac, in the case of sebaceous cysts, or the fatty lump, in the case of lipomas, and then closes the incision with stitches. Once the wound is fully healed, she offers you another appointment to remove the stitches.
What does Surgical Sebaceous Cyst, Lipoma and Dermata Fibroma removal involve?
After an in-depth consultation and assessment with Dr Jenkins, where she will make sure this is the right procedure for you and talk you through what to expect, you will receive an appointment to have the surgery done. The procedure involves an injection of local anaesthetic before a very small incision over the lump which the cyst sac or lipoma fatty mass or dermatan fibroma is removed through. When it’s fully removed, Dr Jenkins uses stitches to close the wound which she will remove at a final appointment a few weeks later.
How long does it take?
The whole procedure generally takes between 20 and 45 minutes.
Will I need further treatment?
No. Once the cyst , dermatan fibroma or lipoma has been removed, it won’t reoccur but you will need a final appointment to have your stitches removed.
Does Sebaceous Cyst, Lipoma or Dermata Fibroma Removal hurt?
Because the surgery is performed with local anaesthetic, it doesn’t hurt while it is going on but it may be slightly sore afterwards.
What does my skin look like after surgery?
Once the surgery is complete and the incision fully healed with the stitches removed, most people will be left with a very small, thin white scar.
How safe is the procedure?
Dr Jenkins is very experienced in this sort of surgery so it is very safe. The only possible complication is an infection in the wound but this is rare.
What alternative treatments are possible?
Sebaceous cysts, lipomas and dermata fibromas have to be removed surgically so there is no alternative treatment.
What are the costs of Surgical Sebaceous Cyst and Lipoma Removal treatment?
Prices from £595 for small cysts, lipomas or dermata fibromas
Histology, if needed, is an extra £75
No. of treatmentsUsually 1
Recovery TimeStitches are removed after 7-10 days. Normal activities can be allowed after 1-2 days within reason. Aftercare advice will be provided by the surgeon.
Procedure time30 to 45 minutes
Back to normal7-10 days until the stitches are removed. It may take up to 2 to 3 weeks until completely healed.
Discomfort levelSome soreness after the anaesthetic wears off
Final ResultsTreated area of skin normally fully healed in 4-6 weeks
AnaestheticLocal anaesthetic injection
Duration of resultsPermanent
DISCLAIMER: We are all unique. This means that treatment plans, the results, down time and recovery following treatment will vary from patient to patient. The information we provide is based on the extensive experience we have gained from treating a wide variety of patients, both men and women of different ages and is based on an average treatment experience. For more accurate information about how the treatment experience would be for you, we suggest you make a CONSULTATION with Dr Strawford at one of our clinics.
Why choose Skin Excellence Clinics
What makes Skin Excellence Clinics so special and why should you choose to have your medical cosmetic treatment with us?
- The guiding principle of Skin Excellence Clinics has always been to deliver exceptional patient care: this was the focus in 2005 when Dr Strawford started in the field of medical aesthetics and has remained the ethos we have followed for the past 11 years.
- Dr Ian Strawford, founder of Skin Excellence Clinics will help you to find the right solution: but only if appropriate for your needs and expectations
- You will receive a medical consultation, where you will be given plenty of time and space to consider all of your options, before deciding if treatment may be right for you.
- We source the best products through official UK Pharmacies: we do not risk the safety of our patients, the quality of our service or the results of your treatments.
- Whilst many people naturally assume that cosmetic treatments are all about beautification: we can help to reduce the psychological and emotional effects of scarring, acne, rosacea, excessive sweating, hair loss and skin lesions.